Friday, July 22, 2011

Ethiopia...Day 5

I'll post more when I get home, but I just had to share pictures from yesterday.

We set out for a day of service. But when I knelt down to wash the dirty, calloused feet of an Ethiopian woman, I realized...this is worship. Worship like nothing I have ever experienced. 

We gathered. We loved and served. We listened to the word. Prayed. And witnessed two beautiful baptisms. We broke bread. And, friend, we were blessed.








My precious friend Karen who is here with me said that Ethiopia reminds her of the Avalon song "Where Joy and Sorrow Meet". I listened to the lyrics this evening. I couldn't agree more.

There's a place of quiet stillness 'tween the light and shadows reach 
Where the hurting and the hopeless seek everlasting peace 
Words of men and songs of angels whisper comfort bittersweet
Mending grief and life eternal where joy and sorrow meet

There is a place where hope remains 
In crowns of thorns and crimson stains And tears that fall on
Jesus' feet Where joy and sorrow meet

There's a place the lost surrender and the weary will retreat 
Full of grace and mercy tender in times of unbelief 
For the wounded there is healing, strength is given to the weak 
Broken hearts find love redeeming where joy and sorrow meet

There's a place of thirst and hunger where the roots of faith grow deep 
And there is rain and rolling thunder when the road is rough and steep
There is hope in desperation there is victory in defeat 
At the cross of restoration where joy and sorrow meet
Where Joy and Sorrow Meet by Avalon

No comments: