Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Why Ethiopia?

When Kyle and I announced our plans to adopt a child from Ethiopia, people started asking "Why Ethiopia?". The simple truth is that God Himself led us to Ethiopia. He opened our hearts by showing us a simple video and then He opened our eyes to the overwhelming needs of orphans in this African country. Here is some of what we have learned so far...
  • There are 4.6 million orphans in Ethiopia alone. (That's 4.6 million orphans in a country less than twice the size of Texas!)
  • 44% of the population is under 15 years old.
  • Half of the children in Ethiopia will never attend school. 88% will never attend secondary school.
  • More than 1 in 10 children die before their 5th birthday.
  • Ethiopia's doctor to child ratio is 1 to 24,000.
  • Per capita, Ethiopia receives less aid than any other country in Africa.
Once Kyle and I began praying about adopting a child, we saw something about Ethiopia everywhere we turned...an article in a magazine, a friend of a friend with adopted Ethiopian children, a radio program heard in the car. It was confirmation of God's will.

Even still, we wondered...what about Russia? or China? or the U.S.A.? Each time we considered adoption from any where else, God brought us back to Ethiopia. Our hearts had been broken for the country, for its people and especially for its orphans.

So...why are we adopting a child from Ethiopia? Because God asked us to.

You, like me, may then wonder "Why does God want you to adopt an Ethiopian child?". To that question, I have no answer. But I believe with my whole heart that He knows best. I believe He has a perfect plan. I trust Him enough to follow Him without knowing all the answers.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11





No comments: