Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Our Adoption Story...Part 2

As I watched the video of Lucy Lane coming home to her forever family, I cried. The burden that I once felt for the orphan came rushing back stronger than ever. God was calling us to this. I went to His Word for confirmation and found these verses...

"I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." John 14:18
Let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:18
...for in you the fatherless find compassion. Hosea 14:3
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. James 1:27

Scripture clearly showed me that God loves the orphan and that we are commanded to love the orphan as well. Through scripture God also reminded me that I was once an orphan and that I have been adopted through Jesus Christ (Ephesians 1:5). God also showed me that I could not hide from the responsibility He had given me...

Don't try to avoid responsibility by saying you didn't know about it. For God knows all hearts, and he sees you. He keeps watch over your soul, and he knows you knew! And he will judge all people according to what they have done. Proverbs 24:12 (NLT)

So I went to Kyle. I told him about the video. I shared what I had learned from the Word. He was hesitant but listened and agreed to pray about it every day.

Each day God spoke to me through scripture, through women's Bible study, through friends and through strangers. It was amazing! I knew that this was God's will. But we struggled...we were torn between our plans and God's plan for our lives. God reassured us and comforted us (Jeremiah 29:11-12). And when I got frustrated with Kyle because he was not yet totally on board, God told me to be patient (Psalm 27:14). Soon Kyle's heart softened and we began to research adoption agencies. When we became overwhelmed at the cost of international adoption, we were reminded that God is able (Ephesians 3:20)!

Finally, we surrendered. We're moving forward and trusting God. Our prayer is that we will become family to a child with none, that others will join us in this journey, that we will be forever changed. Most of all, we pray that God will be glorified!

No comments: