Sunday, August 29, 2010

He goes before me...

Kyle and I talked about the adoption quite a bit yesterday. We discussed the very next step of the process and things that won't take place for quite some time...like traveling to Ethiopia.

Much later while I was getting ready for bed, I was still thinking about traveling to the country where we'll find our daughter. As they so often do, the wheels in my brain started spinning and I got a little ahead of myself. I got stuck on one particular thought...

What if both of us can't make the second trip for some reason?

Kyle might not be able to take the time from work. We may decide it's better for one of us to stay home with the kiddos. We may not have the funds to purchase two plane tickets. These are very real possibilities. So I started to worry and wonder...If not Kyle, who will go with me?

As soon as I asked the question, the name of a certain friend came to mind. I knew she would be the perfect companion for such a trip, but would she be willing? would she be able? Again, I worried.

Today at church as we prepared for the service, that precious friend of mine approached me and said, "If Kyle can't go with you to Ethiopia, I'll go with you." Her offer was totally unsolicited. No one knew my thoughts from the night before. No one...except for God.

I was emotional as we started praise and worship...totally amazed at how God knew my heart, heard my questions and answered them as only He can. I couldn't control my tears as we sang these verses...

You go before me
You shield my way
Your hand upholds me
I know You love me

How true! As a believer in Jesus Christ, there is no place God will send me that He has not already been. He shields me and protects me. He loves me. My friend's offer and the words of the song were such confirmation of God's will for my family, of His protection and provision, of His love.

For I am the Lord, your God,
who takes hold of your right hand
and says to you, Do not fear;
I will help you.
Isaiah 41:13




No comments: