Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Oh, yes!

Last week, my sweet friend Karen and I discussed Ephesians 3:20-21...my favorite scripture in all God's Word. She mentioned that she loves the way it is translated in The Message, which is the Bible in contemporary language. I remembered our conversation this morning and looked it up. Here it is...

God can do anything, you know-far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams! He does it not by pushing us around but by working within us, his Spirit deeply and gently within us.

Glory to God in the church!
Glory to God in the Messiah, in Jesus!
Glory down all the generations!
Glory through all millennia! Oh, yes!

As I read the end of the passage, I pictured an imprisoned Paul pumping his fist in the air and exclaiming, "Oh, yes!". The thought of God and all that He is able to do got Paul fired up, excited! You can see it...you can feel it in the text.

So I thought about times when I have so easily expressed enthusiasm...

Joshua got a big hit at his baseball game...Oh, yes!
The kids are in bed early...Oh, yes!
Hubby got a raise...Oh, yes!
We've got a babysitter! It's date night...Oh, yes!
Baby girl's wearing big girl panties...Oh, yes!

And I thought about the times that I haven't...like during praise and worship so many Sunday mornings. Often I find myself so moved by the Spirit, touched by the worship that I want to stand and lift my hands or even fall to my knees. But I hold back...stand still, hands clasped in front of me, with all my enthusiasm for the Lord bottled up inside.

So why is it so easy to jump from my seat when I see my son round third base, but so hard to express the joy, enthusiasm, passion I feel for the Lord? After all this verse tells us that our God is able. He can do immeasurably more, exceeding abundantly, far more than our wildest dreams! Isn't He most worthy of my "Oh, yes!" moments?

Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you for my friend Karen who loves your Word. Thank you for allowing me to live in a country where I am able to read, talk about and blog about you. And thank you for speaking to me so clearly, so loudly through two little words. Lord, forgive me for keeping my excitement for you bottled up inside. Help me lift my hands, jump for joy, clap, sing, whoop and holler for YOU!
In Jesus precious name I pray...Oh, yes!!!



No comments: