Friday, October 8, 2010

Trust

I went to bed late the other night...very late. When my head hit the pillow, I was both physically and mentally exhausted. Yet, as much as I wanted to sleep, I could not. Thirty minutes passed...then an hour...then two hours.

My heart was heavy. I thought about our adoption. Questions and doubts and fears filled my head. I became overwhelmed and I cried. I cried out to God. I asked for His forgiveness and I asked Him to speak to me...to calm me, to comfort me.

Immediately a verse came to mind...

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5-6

I said the first part of the verse over and over and over, putting emphasis on different words each time.

TRUST in the Lord...
Trust IN the Lord...
Trust in THE Lord...
Trust in the LORD...

I must have repeated these words a hundred times before I eventually fell asleep.

That command...trust in the Lord... has been on my mind ever since. I've also been thinking about my favorite scripture, Ephesians 3:20-21, which tells us that God is able to do immeasurably more than we can even think or imagine. I cannot tell you how much I love that verse. But the truth is...God's ability to do exceedingly abundantly is meaningless if I don't TRUST Him to do it!

What stops me from trusting Him? Sometimes I consider myself unworthy of His provision, His blessing.
Sometimes I get so busy doing the work that I forget about The One who called me to it. Sometimes I don't want to give up control.

Because of my sin nature, to trust is not my first inclination. That means that if I am going to trust Him, I have to be intentional. I have to intentionally and purposefully put off distrust and put on trust. I have to commit daily...sometimes hourly depending on the situation...to trust in my Heavenly Father.

And you know what's great? God knows. He knows my heart and He knows how I struggle. He wants to help me conquer this issue of trust. And He has given me tools...His Word and the Holy Spirit...to help me do just that. Just this morning, I found this verse in my inbox...

Do not throw away this confident trust in the Lord, no matter what happens. Remember the great reward it brings you! Patient endurance is what you need now, so you will continue to do God's will. Then you will receive all that He has promised. 
Hebrews 10:35-36 (NLT)


Dear Heavenly Father, I trust you. I trust your plans for my life. And I trust that with your plans I will also find your protection and your provision. Help me be all that you have called me to be...a wife, a mother, a friend, a witness, an advocate for the orphan. Help me be all of those things not in my own strength or confidence, but in complete and total trust in You. In the precious name of Jesus, Amen.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

its hard to remember that we have to put all our trust in the lord and that he will see us through. But he does come through, whether or not its exactly what you prayed for his up to him, but its the little things he throws our way to counts. I've been praying for a job for a long time and finally I've got a seasonal job opportunity. Praises all around for that one! it may not be exactly what i was praying for but at least its something and I'm thankful for that.