Thursday, September 9, 2010

Tuning in...

The TV. I love it. And I hate it.

Why do I love it?
Because with just a click of a button I can sit in the kitchen with Paula Deen as she whips up a buttery southern creation...or tag along with Lenny Briscoe as he solves a murder in New York City...or zig zag across the globe in a race to win one million dollars.

Why do I hate it?
Because the enemy uses it to deceive me...us. Too often the very things we learn to guard ourselves against on Sunday mornings become entertainment in prime time.

I've been bothered by this for years...starting with "Friends". After years of watching the show, I thought to myself, "What if Rachel really was my friend? Would I be so entertained by her?". Absolutely not.

Then there's Charlie Harper...the main character in "Two and a Half Men". He was a liar, a cheater, an alcoholic. He made crude jokes and often referenced visiting prostitutes. What if he was my brother? Or my neighbor? Would I consider his antics entertainment? Of course not.

Most recently I have been tuning in to "Hoarders" on A&E...stories about real people who compulsively hoard things, including garbage. They are broken, lost and desperate. What if this was my mother or my husband? Would I sit back, watch their lives unravel and be entertained by it all? No.

If these "characters" were my friends, brother, neighbor, mother or husband, I would be concerned and saddened by their choices. I would grieve their situations. And I would pray for them fervently. But sitting on my couch at the end of the day, I click that button and laugh, gasp, shake my head and sometimes push the rewind button to watch it again. Such a hypocrite I am with my TV.

Not every show is bad...some are good. I haven't unplugged the TV. But it's time for me to really look at what I'm watching and hold it up to the scriptures. I don't think I'm alone.

Let's use Philippians 4:8 as our "TV Guide"...
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about (and be entertained by) such things.
The words in italics are mine. I don't think Paul would mind.


No comments: