Friday, December 10, 2010

Sleepy Thoughts and A Happy Heart...

It's past 2AM. Everyone is asleep...everyone but me.

At 4:00 yesterday afternoon, all I wanted was to crawl in my bed and sleep until morning. While watching TV with Kyle tonight, I fell asleep more than once. But now...when I actually have the chance to sleep and should be sleeping...I can't. 

So instead of just laying in bed thinking about sleep, I'm here. Sitting on the couch in our very dark family room, writing about sleep. I hope to be actually sleeping shortly after this post is written. We'll see.

Let me start with a quick adoption update...

Last Saturday, we had our first home study interview with our social worker. It went really, really well. For some reason, I had prepared myself for an interrogation. Something formal...intimidating. It wasn't that way at all. It was a very casual, comfortable conversation. She asked us questions and we were able to ask her questions too. We were given valuable information and insight. 

Our next interviews are scheduled for Friday, December 17th. Kyle and I will meet with the social worker individually this time. I'll go first...at 1:00. Then at 3:00 it will be Kyle's turn.

And now for the post I really sat down to write...

I often quote Proverbs 15:13 to my little ones. It says...A happy heart makes the face cheerful. Let me just tell you...I love this verse! It's a great reminder to find happiness, joy, contentment not in our circumstances, but in what God has done for us. It also reminds us that the expression on our face should be evidence of the joy in our heart.

God has made my heart happy and my face cheerful in so many ways recently. Some were small things, some were silly and some were incredibly powerful. Here are a few...

Olivia, who is 2, likes to tell me secrets. Several times this week, she put her head very close to mine, cupped her little hand around her mouth and whispered with her precious lisp, "Sthecret!". That's it...her secret is "secret". Makes me giggle every time!

Last Sunday, one of the couples in my parent's Bible fellowship class gave my mom an envelope and asked her to give it to me. When I opened the envelope later that afternoon, I found a generous financial contribution to our adoption. The generosity of this couple that Kyle and I have never met overwhelmed my heart with gratitude and made me smile through tears of joy!

After a long day at work, I found a large Diet Dr. Pepper from Sonic (my favorite) waiting for me on my front porch. A precious friend of mine knew how tired I was and left the special treat there for me. Her thoughtfulness warmed my heart and I smiled with every sip!

And, finally...the kids have been playing "Christmas" lately. Olivia always plays the role of Mary and one of my boys...usually Evan...plays the role of Joseph. The other morning, Evan was pushing Olivia throughout the house in a toy shopping cart. (When you don't have an actual donkey, a shopping cart will do...right?) After watching them for a few minutes, I asked, "Where are you going?". Evan replied, "We're going to Bethlehem to count."
So cute and so funny how their little minds learn and process...and sometimes misunderstand...things. The blessing of being a mommy to my three little ones...that makes my heart happy and my face cheerful!

Now...it's time for bed. Night night, y'all!



1 comment:

Misty said...

Thanks for the update on the home study. I thought about you guys and wondered how it went. Praying for you guys and the process you are going through. You are an amazing couple and this child is going to be LUCKY to have you as parents.