Sunday, November 28, 2010

Scraps...

On Thursday afternoon, I sat in my parents' dining room and stared at what remained on my Thanksgiving dinner plate.

A small strip of turkey...
A bite of broccoli cheese casserole...
A spoonful of mashed potatoes...
A few crumbs of a dinner roll...

Scraps.

The meal was over. Family members were moving on to other areas of the house. The clean-up was about to begin. But I couldn't think about the dishes or the pumpkin pie to come.

As I looked at the scraps on my plate, all I could see was
the gaunt faces
the swollen bellies
the pleading little hands
of hungry children all over the world.

I imagined how starving children in India, Africa, China, Guatemala, America might eagerly devour the food I was going to simply throw away...what I was too full to eat.


My heart is heavy...aching.
 
In recent months, I have asked God to break my heart for what breaks His. He has. And, like any heartbreak, it hurts.
 
To be continued...

No comments: