Monday, November 22, 2010

A good day afterall...

Before I started writing tonight, I read my last post. I laughed out loud after reading about the way I "worry and fret". Love that wording...such an understatement. My Bible Study sisters might describe it differently...they would likely say that I "freak out" or "flip out" or "break down". Ha! Love you, ladies!

The kids and I are out of school all week for Thanksgiving. I'm excited about the break and look forward to celebrating the holiday, but must admit things got off to a rough start this morning. Lots of whining, teasing and arguing on the kids' part and very little patience on my part. By 9AM, I was thinking that this might be a long day and a very long week.

At our house, bad attitudes are sometimes best cured by distraction. So the four of us ventured to Mardel to find a new Christmas family devotional. We found a great little book with devotions and activities that are perfect for young children. (We're going to start it after Thanksgiving...can't wait to share more on this later!) Then we headed to the library. Everyone had fun looking for books to check-out and, by the time we left, all that whining and arguing had turned to smiles and giggles!

And tonight I got to have a little mini-date with Joshua...a trip to Target. Not exactly exciting, I know. But when we got there I treated him to an ICEE and a bag of popcorn. Joshua was thrilled...all of the sudden grocery shopping became a special time alone with Mommy. We talked and laughed and he was a great helper...keeping track of our list and putting items neatly in the cart. I thoroughly enjoyed my stroll through the aisles with him! It was a great reminder of how important it is to have those quality, one-on-one times with each child. It also served as a reminder that it doesn't have to be perfectly planned, exciting or expensive to be meaningful.

And finally, each week we receive a weekly email update from our pastor. In today's update, he included a quote that I just love. It's so true and so beautifully written. I just had to pass it along to you.

"We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures." -Thornton Wilder



No comments: