Thursday, January 13, 2011

He surrounds me.

Not too long ago, my parents cleaned out their attic. Their loss was my gain as several boxes of baby dolls, Barbies, school work, trophies, keepsakes and more found their way to our living room.

In one box, I found dozens of birthday and Christmas cards from my parents and grandparents. Many of them were from my Grandma, who my children now affectionately call "Grandma Dink". When I opened one of the cards to read it, a couple sheets of folded paper fell out. I unfolded them to find a poem written in Grandma's handwriting.

The poem is hers...written by her about her own journeys, both physical and spiritual. But I certainly don't think it's a coincidence that I found it when I did...shortly before God set us on this incredible journey of adoption. I find such comfort in the words.

I wrote in my last post that sometimes the process of adoption hurts. There will certainly be more hurts, more heartaches ahead in this journey. There will also be warmth and beauty. And I know we will see His handiwork every step of the way because He surrounds us. In the end, I pray that the One who planned it all will be glorified and honored.

He Surrounds Me
(by Grandma Dink)

I've sailed the wide Pacific blue.
For weeks I've been at sea.
When the mighty wind drove waves aboard,
I knew His hand was holding me.

I've walked the streets of Suva
On Fiji's tropic strand
And watched the palm trees gently sway
On that warm and far off land.

I've strolled along a lonely beach
To find a shell so rare
Where the Indian ocean flows.
And yes, my God was there.

I've crossed the lonely Mullabar,
A long and dreary ride.
But I saw His presence everywhere
On Australian's western side.

I've been dampened by the pouring rain
As it soaked Samoa's land
There I felt the warm and balmy breeze.
In this, God had His hand.

I've sailed the frigid water
Of a place called Glacier Bay
And watched the glistening icebergs
As they drifted on their way.

I've flown above the billowing clouds
And watched a sunrise there,
More glorious and more beautiful.
My God is everywhere.

I've gazed across the emerald hills,
For the Maori's home is here
On New Zealand's northern shore.
I knew that God was near.

I've traveled to a mountain top
On Maui's isle across the sea
And stared into a crater wide.
And lo, God was there with me.

I stood upon a tropic shore
Down the warm Caribbean way
And felt the gentle waves
As they licked my feet at play.

All these things I've done and more
And there's one thing that I know.
This is my Father's world,
For I see His handiwork-no matter where I go.

With His love, He surrounds me.

1 comment:

Alison said...

Love this sweet poem!! And please email me anytime, I would LOVE it! :)